The neo-Gothic church was built in 1907 on the site of a former Romanesque church. It is dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin Mary with a tower and four turrets forming the dominant feature of Zavara. A 0.90 m high cross is shielded on it. Along with it is a tower 32.40 meters high. There are three bells in the tower.
The single-nave temple has an interior space and a space under the tower of 267.75 m2. At the time of construction, the choir with the organ had a size of 26.00 m2 and an internal oratory 14.25 m2. The total built-up area is 308 m2. The inner width of the temple is 9.00 m, length 35.00 m including the vestibule. The nave has a clear height from the inside of 9.17 meters, at the altar and in its vicinity 8.42 meters. The built-up area with land is 407.54 m2. The ceiling consists of arched cross – rib stucco vaults. The facades are divided romantic with neo-Gothic articles. Behind the main altar was originally a late romantic painting “Christ on the Mount of Olives” from the second half of the 18th century by Jozef Zanussi from Salzburg – Austria.
The plan of the church was prepared by Ing. István Moller from Budapest. The construction manager was Jozef Kubát – a mason master from Trnava. The building was built of bricks using concrete and reinforced concrete, mainly due to its cheapness, but also because of its strength and fire resistance. The nave of the church had double walls drawn in the plan with air gaps. The floor is made of sanded terrace. The windows were planned white. The current stained glass windows are from about 1955.
The municipality of Zavar financed reconstruction work on the electricity network, repair of windows and painting of the interior of the church. The monumental figural painting cycle The Secrets of the Rosary was realized without the right to a fee by the artist Peter Čambál living in Zavara, an artist of the riverstone art company.
On December 8, 2009, Archbishop Róber Bezák consecrated a new cloister and a restored sanctuary.