First written mention
The first written mention of the village Zavar comes from 1255 (de Zovvor). The document of the palatine and Bratislava county Rolandus and Bishop Vincent of Nitra writes about the land of Čandal and mentions the name of Dionýz de Zovvori. It was during the reign of the Hungarian King Bela IV, who in 1238 granted Trnava the privileges of a free royal city.
Name of the municipality
The name Zavar was probably derived from the name of the first owner of the settlement (Dionýz de Zoovori), which in the 13th century spread over the territory of today’s village. After various changes, it has stabilized in a form that has survived to the present day.
Chronological overview of published names:
1255 – ZOVVOR,
1256 – ZOWAR
1268 – SOWAR, ZAWAR,
1292 – ZOWAR
1325 – ZOWAR
1332 – SAWAR,
1561 – ZARWA,
1590 – ZAWAR,
1786 – ZAWOR, ZAWAR,
1808 – SAWAR, ZAWAR,
1863 – ZAVAR.
Symbols of the village
The symbols of the village consist of a flag, a seal, insignia and a coat of arms. The consecration of the symbols of the village of Zavar during the solemn Holy Mass was performed on July 5, 2000 by Bishop Štefan Vrablec, who evaluated the symbolism of the village with the words: “The coat of arms of Zavar shows you the path of ancestors:
The coat of arms of the village depicts in the lower half of the red shield a silver-golden, centerless five-rose on a golden stalk with larger odd flowers, all surmounted by a silver Greek concave lab-shaped cross and a silver, left-turned licorice.
The flag of the village consists of five longitudinal stripes in red, white, red, yellow, and red. It is finished with three tips or. two cuts that extend to one third of her letter.
The seal of the village is round, in the middle with the municipal coat of arms and a circle OBEC ZAVAR. It is in accordance with domestic customs and regulations on the use of stamps with general symbols. The round stamps of the municipality are derived from the municipal seal.
Owners of the municipality
Over the course of several centuries, the village had several owners, for example: Zoovari family, Majthényi family, Countess Esterháziová, Báčák, Hrabovszky, Šipeky, Majláth, Marek, Bohúň, Okoličányi, Cingel, Sulín.
The Count Majláth family had the greatest influence in the history of the village in the 19th century.